Peakland Heritage Derbyshire Record Office Map List of Museums Derbyshire Libraries Peak District National Park Authority
 
 

Roads
- Roman Roads
- Bad Roads
- Road Builders
- Perils of Horse Travel
- Turnpikes & Tolls
- Coach Travel
- Coaching Inns
- Stand & Deliver
- On Two Wheels

Search
home
Roman Roads
Roman road at Burbage.  Here J. Pilkington describes the state of knowledge of Roman roads in the Peak in 1789:

'The lesser Roman road is distinguished by several names: The Bath-way, Bathingate, and Bathom-gate. It extends from Buxton to Brough near Hope, and is about 10 miles in length. There is good ground for believing, that the Romans made use of the water, and baths, at the former of these places; and that they had a station in the latter situation. These two points being admitted, it will naturally follow, that they would establish some mode of communication between such places.

In comfirmation of this opinion Mr Pegge has endeavoured to discover a road, which extends from Buxton to Brough. He seems to have investigated it with clearness and certainty. He began to trace it at the north east extremity. After leaving Brough, and passing the second water flash, commonly called the Burgwash, which is made by Bradwell brook, he discovered the road in the lane, much raised, but broken into fragments. It then enters Bull-meadow, running up on the left hand with the hedge, which stands upon it. From hence it winds into the strait lane which leads to Smalldale. At this place it turns up into the pastures, called Doctor’s pasture and Bagshaw pasture: but in this part it is scarcely visible. However its course may afterwards be ascertained with ease. It proceeds in a direct line to the stone fence, which divides Bradwell moor and Tideswell moor. From hence it keeps a course, equally strait, to the enclosures of the dam of the forest. This is the most perfect and conspicuous part of it. Here, a few yards within Hernstone lane, it enters the enclosures on the left hand, where its course in the month of June 1769, was very discernable on account of the different colour of the grass, till it enters the strait lane which goes to Fairfield. It then winds to the left hand towards this village, and having passed it, proceeds to, and is supposed to terminate at Buxton.

However there is, according to tradition another Roman road, the extremity of which appears at the distance of a few miles from Buxton. It begins at Hurdlow-house and extends to Pike-hall. It runs nearly parallel with the turnpike road, which leads to Ashbourne. It appears highly probable, that this road was once a means of communication between the bath at Buxton, and the station or encampment, which the Romans had at Parwich.'

Taken from A view of the present state of the county of Derbyshire, Volume 2 by J. Pilkington 1789.


More Pictures
Tracks and Trails

Gallery
Tracks and Trails
more»
books